Martial Arts Sourcebook
n/a: Harper Perennial, 416 pages (1994)
This easy-to-read reference work is full of up-to-date data and information about the martial arts. It is a large format book which includes 175 black and white photographs of martial arts champions and celebrities.
The book is divided into five sections:
- Styles and Practices of the Martial Arts. This section alphabetically lists the names of 1158 past and current martial arts and styles, by country of origin, and a helpful list of dates for Asian Dynasties. It also includes official forms of karate and taekwondo; and lists weapons of the world (alphabetically by country of origin and art).
- Famous Martial Artists. This section lists recipients of every known Hall of Fame martial arts award from 1968 to 1992, by award, and provides dates of birth and death of past and present masters, champions and personalities with a brief description of each, from Jhoon Ree and Taira Shinken to Jackie Chan, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Elvis Presley.
- Champions of the Martial Arts. This section features results of amateur and professional kickboxing championship fights from 1970 to 1993; and Black Belt Competition results for Jujutsu, Karate-Do, and Tae kwon do; and major U.S. Open Karate Tournaments and Wushu Championship Results; as well as Distinguished Champions 1967-1992 and National Ratings.
- Martial Arts Film and Video Guide. This section reviews movies, documentaries and TV shows involving martial arts, and gives star ratings. It offers filmographies of numerous martial arts movie stars, and, for adoring fans wishing to send fan mail, this section supplies addresses for martial arts celebrities.
- Martial Arts Business Directory. The final section lists addresses of 1,008 martial arts groups, federations and associations from 80 countries, including contact names, phone and fax numbers for many listings. There is also a directory of 1,112 martial arts equipment suppliers worldwide and 661 specialty stores and suppliers.
The book is clear and well presented and makes a useful reference work for those researching martial arts facts.
Help Us Raise Funds For 2015!
The Taekwondo Club is embarking on another fundraising project for 2015 to send members to various events. Please consider initiating your Amazon order from our web site; the club will receive a small commission for every order you place. The club is planning to send members to collegiates, West Virginia, and possibly elsewhere.
Aikido | Arnis | Bagua | Hapkido | Iaido | Jeet Kune Do | Judo | Jujitsu | Karate | Kendo | Kung Fu/Wushu | Silat | Taekwondo | Taijiquan | Xingyi |
biography | competition/sparring | forms | history | weapons |